
Here the form is fully surrounded. You'll notice I stuffed up slightly - I didn't put the boards together properly, so the last "wall" was too small for my boards. Never mind, I just used clay. In retrospect that might have worked better for all four sides because it was much easier to push the wall onto the form and make a neat join. I have seen clay walls collapse mid-pour....resulting in rapidly setting plaster all over the floor...so I usually go for the boards. I'll have to give this more thought if I end up doing more of these.
And the mould fresh out of the surrounds. You can see the end where the clay wall was - it's a bit wonky and has sharp edges, but they can be smoothed out. You can probably also see how untidy the sides are - that's where I used extra clay to join onto the boards. Tomorrow I'll do some cleaning up and take another picture. Hopefully it'll be a lot smoother and ready to go!

This is so interesting Amanda. I'm still not sure what happens next so I hope you keep documenting it as well as you've done so far. I don't want to miss any of the steps.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're enjoying it Carol. Yes, I'll try to photograph the whole making process - I realize it's a bit different for people who don't work with clay.
ReplyDeletehi there Amanda
ReplyDeletejust thought I would drop by and see what you are up to. You seem to pretty 'industrious' and very focused on your outcome which from what I understand from reading the post travels posts, is a concertina flag book made from porcalaine!! (sp !!??) How ambitious that is. I congratulate you on that but then as you say you are on the final phase of your Masters degree so that usually hones the activities of the mind and body. I hope that you stay "well" enough to cope with it, I imagine that you will manage it somehow.
I am completely the opposite to you at the moment as I am finding it really difficult to pick up the threads from where I was before I had my health difficulties (makes it sound so trivial saying that) but anyway.
take care and it has also been lovely seeing places such as Glengarrif mentioned in your blog ( my own home county).
Aine.