Thursday, July 19, 2007

Help! I've been tagged!

One of my special cyber-chums, cusp, over at l'ombre de mon ombre has tagged me and now I have to come up with 8 random facts about myself. I must confess that I've already been tagged once before back in May by the talented Jade over at spectroscope. I only found this out recently when I was visiting her blog - I think it was during the period when I was pretty sick and not online that much. I apologise profusely for "breaking the chain" in that case, so I'll have to do better this time.

Umm, this is really hard... anything that might be interesting is terribly embarrassing....but I'll give it a try.....




First the rules:

1. Let others know who tagged you. (done that)
2. Players start with 8 random facts about themselves.
3. Those who are tagged should post these rules and their 8 random facts.
4. Players should tag 8 other people and notify them they have been tagged.




8 random facts about Amanda
1. I was born with a caul or a veil, which is a shimmery coating of the head and face. It is a membrane, part of the amniotic sac and occurs reasonably rarely, about 1 in every 1000 births. In some belief systems it is held as a sign of good luck or an omen that the child was destined for greatness(!!!) Possession of a newborn's caul (yuk!) is said to prevent death by drowning, so sailors often purchased them for large sums in medieval times.

2. I was supposed to be named "Miranda" after a poem my father loved by Belloc. Only he mis-remembered the name, hence Amanda. To me, the two names have quite a different feel, and I've always wondered how it might have affected my personality if I'd been called Miranda.

Here's the poem:


Do you remember an Inn, Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
And the tedding and the shredding
Of the straw for a bedding,
And the fleas that tease in the High Pyrenees,
And the wine that tasted of tar?
And the cheers and the jeers of the young muleteers
(Under the vine of the dark veranda)?
Do you remember an Inn, Miranda,
Do you remember an Inn?
And the cheers and the jeers of the young muleteers
Who hadn't got a penny,
And who weren't paying any,
And the hammer at the doors and the din?
And the hip! hop! hap!
Of the clap
Of the hands to the swirl and the twirl
Of the girl gone chancing,
Glancing,
Dancing,
Backing and advancing,
Snapping of the clapper to the spin
Out and in-
And the ting, tong, tang of the guitar!
Do you remember an Inn,Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
Never more;Miranda,
Never more.
Only the high peaks hoar;
And Aragon a torrent at the door.
No soundin the walls of the halls where falls
The tread
Of the feet of the dead to the ground,
No sound:
But the boom
Of the far waterfall like doom.

3. I refused to go to kindy or preschool, telling my mother I was "too busy".

4. I am 18 years younger than my sister and 15 years younger than my brother. In fact, my sister's daughter (my niece) is more like a sister to me, as she is only 9 years younger than me.

5. I attended the same school from year 1 to year 12. It is the same school my mother, aunt and sister attended and my niece also went there for a couple of years. If I had a daughter, there is no way I would send her there!

6. I secretly dream of living in England in a town whose name includes the phrase "on-sea".

7. My first concert was the Bay City Rollers, at Brisbane Festival Hall in 1975. I'm not telling who my favourite "Roller" was though....

8. In 1986 I left my first "professional" job (i.e. as an occupational therapist) after only 5 months to go back-packing around Europe with a bloke I'd only met 4 months earlier. Five weeks later we were engaged to be married. (This was all very uncharacteristic behaviour for me - I was considered very mature and responsible for my age.) We continued our travels for nearly nine months and then returned to Australia to organise the wedding. Twenty years later we are still together.


So who do I tag?

Well, I do this with the proviso that anyone who has already been tagged and doesn't want to participate again doesn't have to, and anyone who just hates this kind of chain thing (which usually includes me) also doesn't have to...being tagged should be seen as a compliment, rather than creating a duty to participate.
  1. Aine over at Artist Printmaker online
  2. Annie at Woodblock Dreams
  3. a Kiwi neighbour, azirca, at speak without my voice
  4. From Down the Rabbit Hole
  5. Mandy at Feltbug, even tho' I know she's been tagged before
  6. Marion at my art grows around me
  7. my dear friend Mel, another Brisbane girl over at feffakooken
  8. peggy at adventures in relief

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your list - and the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Amanda. Thanks for 'playing'.

    You're a bit of a dark horse beneath the quiet exterior aren't you ? ;-)

    I love the name Miranda. Makes me think of mermaids. In fact I once did a mad mail-art project with a friend from College where we took on personas with a maritime theme and she was Magnificent Miranda the Mermaid.

    I used to live in an '...on-Sea' town and loved it. Still miss it and we go back there now with the kids on holidays.

    Aha, the BCR's. Past my time but I have happy memories of taking the teenage pupils at the Special School where I worked in 1975 into town. The girls always wanted to go to the record dept of WH Smiths. They'd hare up the stairs with cries of 'Woody Woody'.

    Never did know which one he was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading - thanks for visiting and commenting, but I found your list a lot more interesting!

    Cusp - ooh! thanks for saying I'm a dark horse! It makes me sound much more exciting! I love the name Miranda too - if I'd only heard the story when I was a bit younger I might have changed my name.
    Which "on-sea" town did you live in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou Amanda - sweet of you to think of me - I will be responding in my own slow time xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the tag Amanda. It was fun thinking what to include.

    I have a great friend called Miranda- so i always like the name :)

    used to live near an 'on the water' was a very cute place.

    ReplyDelete