Sunday, May 12, 2013

Working into Ecoprints: some preliminary sketches

 Last year I made some prints using the 'welcome home' roses our lovely house-sitter Louise left after our trip.

When I took the embroidery course in August I used a couple for machine stitching, which I showed you here. 

Otherwise they have been sitting waiting my attention, while I worked on other commitments. So after finishing the first half of my BAO edition, I took a week off to play.

Having sat for so long, they have acquired rather an air of preciousness, and not being entirely confident in my drawing skills, I began by photographing a few so that I could make some preliminary sketches.

This worked well and I had fun trying out some ideas, which I may use either for "proper drawings" or for stitching. Below are four scans of my results. In the last one I haven't drawn anything, but the shading/colouring has been altered by the processes and I found that an interesting outcome.
 







I've found I really enjoy having some marks and colour on the paper to respond to in my drawing - must be the result of a childhood love affair with Mr Squiggle!

Nevertheless, I have already returned to my BAO project, printing pages, folding concertina spines etc in readiness for assembling the final copies - which I will soon share with you here.

12 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, Amanda. You are so clever and inventive! I love your experimentation and process. These remind me a bit of those calligraphy images from nature that formed the wonderful book you posted way back when...at least if my memory serves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Nancy. What a memory you have! I think I know which work you mean - was it the scribbley marks on the gum tree bark? Or maybe the the bird poo on the footpath? Although that didn't make it into a book!!

      Delete
  2. A- subtle work. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Barry, and thank-you!

      Delete
  3. These prints are a beautiful foundation for mark making. I especially like the third one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jac, that's my favourite too, I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really beautiful prints Amanda. I particularly like the second photo with its focal point and contrasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Helen. I'm thinking of using stitch for that one.

      Delete
  6. These will be very exciting to work with, Amanda, while remaining subtle and gentle. I love the marks on the second one, but each has its own charm. Eco printing has lovely possibilities. So far I just love reading India's books - and thinking about eco printing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, those books are so beautiful aren't they? Very inspiring. And I love the fact that her work is based here in Australia.

      Delete
  7. these look delightful amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat! I like the idea of working with copies, so as to take the fear of ruining it factor out of it. I always enjoy when you talk about your working processes. These have taken on such an interesting abstract quality.

    Good luck with the BAO stuff! I had to take time off too to put together my workshop... and then recover from it... getting back into the swing of it myself now... I will be inspired by your good example! I look forward to seeing your finished result.

    ReplyDelete