Thursday, May 30, 2013

Untitled (In the woods)

As most of you won't be able to get along to Impressions 7, the Annual Impress Printmakers Exhibition, I thought I'd share my new print which is in the show.

This is probably one of the first, if not the first digital print which has felt satisfying to me.

I took the original photo several years ago using the camera facility on a Sony PSP, which has a  toy camera option.The iPhone was around at the time, but it was just before Instagram. 





About a month or so ago I began working on the photo. I noticed the circle of light on the left and wanted this to be the focus.

And this is  the final result.


Untitled (In the woods) by Amanda Watson-Will


Actually, the final result is a small edition (five) of pigment prints on BFK Rives Digital paper. When I get a chance I will take a photo of the print and post it, because that is why I am so pleased with this print. The blacks have printed beautifully, rich and dark, and there is no sense that anything has been lost by the fact that this is a digital print and not hand pulled.

If you are in Brisbane and able to come along to the show, it opens Friday night. Details in my previous post. Hope to see you there!




10 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Amanda. I'd love to know how you accomplished it...but best to keep the trade secrets!

    I do often wonder about the printing though, when people talk about their digital prints. Do you own a printer that can do some kind of special printing job or is it mostly about using the correct paper? Or do you have it printed at a local place that has some special system? I don't know much about all this and I've tried to find a place to bring my photos to have them printed in some better way than with my own ink jet printer, but no one seems to have anything more sophisticated...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Nancy! I really am more than happy to share what I know, so maybe it's worth a post of its own, rather than a lengthy comment now (and sleep beckons!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to see the real thing. But I don't think I'll have time to get from airport to gallery and back in time to get my flight.Well, perhaps I could do the distance, but certainly would not have the time I'd need to look and see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it wouldn't do to miss your flight! Storbie would not be impressed, and that's a scarey thought.

      Delete
  4. It can be so hard to get a good-looking print. Well done! It's so mysterious. I'd love to see a post about what you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! Two requests: how could I say no!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful, Amanda! I'd like more information on the printing too... I think I'd be a bit nervous to be in those mysterious and atmospheric woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be offended Carol, but your comment came through twice so I deleted one.
      Those "mysterious woods" are just across the road from me in Hawthorne Park, which is quite suburban. I'm tickled by the idea of making them look very different from reality.

      Delete
    2. Certainly not offended, Amanda, I replied on my iPad which is extremely unreliable when commenting. I've had so many mishaps that I'm trying to just use my desktop for replies and my own blog posts.

      Pleased to know your woods are not really so scary.

      Delete