Sunday, February 17, 2013

Some News and Something New


I'm very happy to say that Alicia Bailey of Abecedarian Gallery in Denver has selected one of my books for Photo Book Works, which opened there this Friday February 15th.

If you've been following here for some years you may remember the flag book I made called Like Weather. The book explored the inconstancy of emotions and compared this to the changability of weather. It was in fact the book that drew me in to making artist's books, because the structure expressed my idea so perfectly.

Like Weather (Amanda Watson-Will)


Like Weather has brought me success before, as it was acquired by Southern Cross University for their artist's book collection, and I am really thrilled that it is the second of my works to be selected for exhibition at Abecedarian Gallery. If you head over to the gallery's website, you'll be able to see all the selected work in the online catalogue.


Another piece of good news was the acquisition of my first zine, Looking for Wabi-Sabi in Tokyo, by University of Melbourne Library (Special Collections) . Among other work, I sent off some copies to BAZE which was held in December at Hand Held Gallery in Melbourne. I was fortunate that my zine was among those that Sue Millard selected for the Library.

Detail from Looking for Wabi-Sabi in Tokyo

I can also show you a photo of the first proof for A Day Just Like Any Other, my contribution for Edition 4 of Book*Art*Object.

Apologies for the poor photo, but I didn't want to reveal too much yet!
There are only a few minor tweaks to be made now and I'm ready to start assembling the edition. I've decided to make 15 this time, as last edition I only made 10 plus a proof, and although it fulfilled the requirements, there was only one copy spare.

Soon I'll be able to post more information about the research and process of making the book, but first I'll be heading over to Sarah Bryant's very useful post about assembling an edition. It has some great tips on how to make the process as easy, accurate and speedy as possible. 

And Something New

Finally, I wanted to share a recent acquisition of my own. You all know I love books, but you may not know that I also love jewelry, so what could be better than a book that is a necklace. Or is that a necklace that is a book? It doesn't really matter, it's beautiful whatever way you say it. 



This little treasure is the work of Barry Smith, a very talented sculptor and artist who works with metal. He lives not that far away from me, in Maleny, with his wife Fiona, a fellow BAO-member. 

I read about Barry's Peace Book pendants on Fiona's blog, Paper Ponderings and was immediately captivated. I love the fact this pendant is a little book, it mixes yellow and white metals that are  recycled, it has that superbly ornate second page, followed by the quote from Thich Nhat Hanh. As a person who experiences frequent bouts of anxiety, this reminder that the solution lies in mindfulness could not suit me better. So thank-you Barry, this necklace is already very special and I know it is set to become a favourite.

You can see more of Barry's work, including some Peace Book pendants at the moment, over on his blog Rustnstuff and in his online shop.

16 comments:

  1. great news - and a lovely necklace too - really delightful!but I'm mostly keen to see how your BAO edition turns out - its VERY interesting looking start --- good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie! Hopefully it won't be *too* much longer.....

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Amanda! It's so great to have all this good and creative news in one post. I really love your flag book and always have. The pendant is just lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. Yes flag books are an interesting structure and can make such a strong visual statement. I'd like to explore them some more.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations from me too Amanda!Just the weather for work on "rain" and "Weather". Well done with your acquisitions. Sorry to see you copped a wet floor and very smelly carpet in the last downpour.Barry's little "book necklace" looks very intriguing. I wonder if each one he makes has a different page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack, thank-you! I think that each book pendant is a little different. I know he used a few different quotes, but the one in mine is the same as the one in Fiona's. They're all on the theme of peace though.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations here too, Amanda! The flag book is beautiful and deserves the honour. Btw, is it the same you are using as a blog header? I saw Barry's book pendants in his blog a few days ago, they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Ersi! No they are two different books. The one that has gone to Denver, Like Weather, is a regular flag book, but the one in the header is made of porcelain. It's title is Resistance and the flags don't move (because the spine is a fired "concertina").

      Delete
  5. Great post Amanda, full of really good news. Congrats on the exhibition of your book at Abecedarian Gallery and the acquisition of your zine. Your BAO book looks really intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I also loved that book necklet of Barry Smith's and seriously thought about buying one....but I do already have a SS book necklet, so treated myself to a gorgeous linocut the other day instead! Such fun isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen! Yes, it's lovely to share good news. A linocut? That sounds wonderful! Is it by someone local?

      Delete
  6. Multiple wonderful news! Yeay! Congratulations! And well deserved. Your books are amazing.

    I'm looking forward to seeing more of your BAO edition... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Ellen - you are very kind. It was very affirming to have the zine purchased, as I've felt I was relying on earlier work a bit. Still it does take time to make stuff, and then to get it out into the world.

      Delete
  7. Such a lot of good news, Amanda! Congratulations! I too, couldn't resist Barry's peace pendants - they are lovely and really speak of the principles that Fiona and Barry live by. I'm hoping that some of their calm and peacefulness rubs off on me when I wear my pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Carol. That's lovely that you bought one too! A little transfer of peace all around would be good.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Amanda - fabulous news re books winging their way across the world and into collections here and there! I love hearing news like that for people I 'know', always makes me happy to know artists are being recognised and bought. Also thrilled you too have a peace book pendant. I treasure mine and enjoy holding it and turning the pages when I wear it - and nice to share the spirit and the thoughts around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Fiona, and thanks also for sharing the special pieces of Barry's work that you own and took on your trip away. I'm off down the coast for a few days and my Peace Book pendant is already packed for the journey.

      Delete