Saturday, December 01, 2012

Visiting The Studio West End

On Tuesday I met up with three other Brisbane members of Book*Art*Object for a bit of a pre-Christmas get-together. Robin Foster, Helen Malone, Jack Oudyn and I decided to check out the end of year exhibition at The Studio West End, before lunch.

The Studio is the domain of Adele Outteridge and Wim de Vos, and is where I learned to do coptic, celtic and other bindings in 2009. Adele and Wim offer classes and on-going support to their students, including opportunities like the exhibition we went to see, Bookplates Unbound and Artists Books.

Adele and Wim welcomed us warmly and Del was kind enough to allow me to take some photos of the show to share with you.


The bookplates showed great variety and there were some beautiful prints amongst them.



The artists books explored a range of media and structures. I recognized some Impress Printmakers' members names amongst the participants, including the very talented Glenda Orr.

This work by Susan Bowers, Standing Stories 4,5 (Bush women) is a lovely example of pushing the definition of a book.



Wim de Vos showed his current obsession, perspex tunnel books. This one is inspired by the Chrysler Building, and offers an interior view that I had not seen before.

Adele shared examples of book bindings that students can make in her classes. These lovely ones in the lower left which combine coptic, celtic, the icicle and the caterpillar are exemplars completed in a single workshop, to allow students to try all these different bindings in one go. What a great idea! Reminds me of something......



We all enjoyed the exhibition and our visit to the studio, and I enjoyed the chance to see Del and Wim again. If you'd like to see more of the Studio West End exhibition, Del tells me there will be more photos going up on their website soon.


7 comments:

  1. Lovely, Amanda. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving all these pics amanda -- so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great show! I second Ronnie's sentiment. It really is inspiring. You seem very lucky to have all that book arts energy so close at hand! Very cool work people are doing over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Amanda. It certainly is an inspirational space inhabited by inspirational people. As Atelier Conti says, we are very lucky to have all this book action going on right on our doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't believe my timing was so bad - away for the whole show! It looks wonderful and inspiring and energising. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool Amanda, thanks for taking and sharing the photos. I love that Studio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely tour, thank you! Just like Atelier Conti, I consider you very lucky to have book arts so close to you. I'm drooling with envy -and a bit of a cold :)

    ReplyDelete