Monday, May 28, 2012

Amanda's Amblings #4: Beyond the Marais

All the photos in this post were taken with my iPhone as I haven't felt like carrying my larger camera with me. As a result they're a bit fuzzy at times! Naturally I blame all shortcomings on the equipment!! Actually I'm looking into getting a new camera...but more about that if it happens.

This week has been a big one: Monday and Thursday were spent at the bookbinding studio and I am progressing well with my first book and have the second underway.

On Tuesday I finally ventured over to the Left Bank (this refers to the southern side of the river Seine). I took my first bus trip in Paris rather than the Metro, and I am hooked. The reason? Well you can see things from the bus, which you can't underground on the Metro. This photo is looking down towards Saint Sulpice.
 I'm becoming addicted to photographing old walls.

Back on the Right Bank, I jumped off the bus here: Hotel de Ville (City Hall) and walked back home to the Marais. This is image is fairly heavily processed using the Iris app on my iPhone.

More of the above.
On Wednesday we celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary with a degustation menu at Le Bristol's 3 Michelin Hat restaurant. It wasn't really the sort of place where you could whip out the camera but by the last course the champers had done its work and I snuck the phone out to quickly snap this.
On Friday we headed to the Centre Pompidou, the National Museum for Modern Art, which is also in walking distance. They have 60,000+ of their works in their online catalogue. If you would like to take a look it's here.

View to the "you-know-what" taken from the top floor of the Centre Pompidou.


The restaurant at the Centre Pompidou.

I focussed on the display from the permanent collection, which was a chronological survey of modern art. This display rotates through works from their collection and I can't say I saw any of my long-standing favourites. Instead I was surprised to find that it was the room dedicated to work by Giacometti that caught my imagination. Above a sculpture, and below part of the wall from Giacometti's studio. Isn't it gorgeous?






It's a long week-end here now and the weather has hit the summery high-twenties. I've been taking it very quietly after the busy week, just enjoying the view from the bedroom window.


A bientot!










5 comments:

  1. delicious! delicious! delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, too, are packing a lot into your "holiday." Thank you for all the Paris images that I just couldn't make time for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, it looks like you are having a fabulous time, can't wait to hear more about the course and what books you are making. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi All, lovely to hear from you.
    Yes, its been a busy, wonderful time.

    No need to worry Vicki - there's plenty to come about the bookbinding ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning photos, and I love the ones you've manipulated. Your trip sounds quite magical, and I'm trying not to be envious. xox

    ReplyDelete