Thursday, May 24, 2012

5 Painless Fixes for a More Potent Artist Statement




A wall near the Luxembourg Gardens with a quote from Rimbaud.

A brief diversion from the travelogue to share a resource that I hope you'll find useful.

Posts about artists statements cycle around the blog-o-sphere and it seems that as visually creative people, writing about our work is something we all find very challenging.

Alyson B Stanfield covers the area in some detail, and has an ebook that you can purchase if you really want to go into the subject in some depth. However, there are also a number of free resources on her webite about artist's statements including this one: 5 Painless Fixes for a More Potent Artist Statement

One thing I particularly like about her approach is that she sees it as an evolving process. I know that doing my masters really helped me because I spent a couple of years writing and re-writing my statement and now I have something that travels with me. Of course I return to it periodically and edit out a sentence, tweek a word or two or add something new, but now the whole thing is far more pain-free for me. Given the amount you need a statement (ie with every application you submit) this has been a really worthwhile project. It also makes talking about my work professionally a lot easier too.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the best thing to happen to my arty statement writing was completing a Masters..... yet ironically I suspect diving into a second Masters was perhaps one of the worst things to do to my practice..... 'damned if you do - damned if you don't'

    (hope you're staying well!)

    ReplyDelete