Thursday, April 12, 2012

Working on Digital "Regeneration"

I've been having a lovely time in my studio since returning from Sydney. With all my friends away for Easter and no possibility of health-related appointments either, due to the holidays, a rare stretch of empty days opened up for me. I have an exhibition I am working towards too, so it could not have come at a better time.

In August, Impress Printmakers will move into their newly renovated premises in the old substation at Kelvin Grove. For such an active and professional group, it is sometimes hard to remember that for years they have been operating out of "temporary" premises under the home of one of the members. (The old "Queenslanders", perched above head-height on stumps, are great for this kind of purpose.)

At last the organization will have a permanent home, and will be celebrating with an exhibition titled " ReGenerate". I am delighted that the theme is one that relates to my work, as this seems like a significant occasion and I really wanted to participate and contribute.

Members have to contribute a small edition (at least six prints) and even though isn't many, I decided to play it safe and make mine digital. It is the area where I have the most experience and it is the least physically-demanding.

With four empty days at Easter, plus a pretty quiet week so far, I've been a bit obsessed! The beauty (and the danger) of digital is that you can try so many alternatives. Eventually, last night, I managed a "first cull", printed off the remainder and then put them away for 24 hours to clear my mind. I had been putting them up on the wall, and I find that is great when you want to keep developing things. Ideas just seem to l e a p into your mind with the work in front of you, but it doesn't seem to help the selection process.

So, because you are friends, and I know you will be kind, I thought I would post a few options here for some feedback. They are a mixed bag, some feel finished, some maybe not. I'd love to hear if you have a favourite, or if there is one you think is strongest. Or even if you think that part of one is working well, but needs some tweeking!

Studies for "Regeneration"

Studies for "Regeneration"

Studies for "Regeneration"

Studies for "Regeneration"


Studies for "Regeneration"

Studies for "Regeneration"

Studies for "Regeneration"

11 comments:

  1. I like the blizzard of dandelions! Looks as if you're having fun... Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the third from the top and would like it even better with a little more contrast of tone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite is the last one. And I've just caught up with the podcast too - fantastic way to use new technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fourth image particularly when viewed in the slide show so that the light background makes a more prominent negative space. Very Japanesie(they all are a bit) and a bit cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry amanda, seems everyone likes a different one, so doesn't make your choices any easier! I myself am drawn to number one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe! Yes, I wondered if that might happen. I guess it is better than people being unanimous - that might not say much for the others. In the end, it will have to be my choice, won't it? And obviously there are things I like about each of the ones that I have shown you. Thanks for all your opinions. I do appreciate and value them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda - this is my third visit before commenting; and stillI like Number 1 best (I was checking if familiarity changed anything for me...) On the second visit I realised the arrows were most likely houses? which helped me understand them better, and as houses I qui elided 2 & 7! Have fun choosing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've given myself some time to ponder them as well, but I keep coming back to the first and last as the ones I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1, 3, 6, 7. That's my choice, with maybe 1 and 6 my favorites. Very difficult to choose from such an interesting collection but I know one of them will right for you and you'll make the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks especially to those of you who returned a few times to test your impressions. I am truly overwhelmed by your efforts to be as helpful as you can. What a wonderful support you all are! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favourite is the top one. But I see there are varying opinions so that may not help! But yep, I love number 1.

    ReplyDelete