Sunday, October 16, 2011

Exhibitions at Impact, Part 1

One of the best aspects of Impact was having so many printmaking exhibitions right there on the university campus where the conference was being held. I saw almost everything, I think, but all of it far too quickly. I could have spent at least twice as long!

As I raced around, I took as many photos as I could to share, although all with my iPhone. I know that some people who read this blog can't make it to many exhibitions, so I've chosen my favourites for you to see.


a Polish-born artist who lives in Australia. This was the only video work at the conference, as far as I am aware. I was drawn to both its subject matter, and the fact that the style has a clear connection to digital imagery. There were numerous papers about video (I didn't attend any) but it shows that working with moving images has appeal for printmakers.




You can see a lot more about this work (including a 7 minute version) here.

Jan Hogan:
an Australian artist who I believe has recently completed her PhD. There is a little more about that work here. She also presented a paper at the conference - some details here.

Becoming

The sense of layering and networking in this work is beautiful.


Dylan Martorell & Mat Valdman

These works were enchanting! The top print filled the wall, while the lower two were viewed through a device reminiscent of the old "Viewmaster" (hence the blurry photos). There's an interview with Martorell here and this is his blog.

Hapmoniym (digital printed wallpaper)

Hinteridact (digitally altered screenprint, slide, slideviewer)
Sally Smart
I am pretty sure I've mentioned Sally Smart's work here before. Like many others, I find it captivating and inspiring. To be honest, this is the first opportunity I've had to see it in a gallery, so I was quite excited. This work was part of a group show entitled "The Devil had a Daughter". I've included Sara in the shot to give you an idea of scale. Smart's website is here.




Paul Liam Harrison, Scott Hudson & Andy Rice:

500 Years and the Complaint of the Black Knight 
I'm sorry to have to admit that this poem was unknown to me before seeing this work. Now I know that The Complaint of the Black Knight is the oldest surviving dated printed Scottish book (from 1508). Written in fact by John Lydgate, it was falsely attributed to Chaucer (all this according to Wikipedia, of course!)
I walked around and around the room, and loved the rolling Scottish tones, but was able to understand "nairy a wud"! I felt compelled to make a recording to share, but of course had to cut it short when a crowd entered the room talking at the tops of their voices. If you press play, maybe you'll get a tiny taste.

video 

I have more photos of work to share next time, as well as my thoughts about some of the papers I attended. It's 9 days till work starts in our kitchen. Tearing up the floor tiles is first on the agenda ( dust and noise - my favourites!). I may be kidding myself, but I'm thinking there will be a lot of time sitting around, not being able to leave the house when I might be able to get online and catch up on my blogging. Am I crazy?

5 comments:

  1. isn't it amazing that another person (short person - eg ME - raises hand) can attend the same event... roll around the same spaces... and NOT see the same things!!!!) thanks for sharing your pics (ps - where the heck was sally smarts stuff? I LOVE her works.... am now feeling gutted that I somehow missed it!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo meant to add - could 'nairy a wud' mean 'not a word'? (my great gran was scottish... I can't remember her, but grew up learning a bizarre collection of scottish phrases....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou, Amanda, for being "my eyes" at Impact.
    I'll come back later for a good wallow, but so far, the Martorello(?) is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the details amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really ronnie? You missed Sally Smart? It was in MUMA, towards the back. There was so much to see, it was easy to miss stuff - but I knew it would be there, so I was looking for it.

    And yes, I meant I understood "not a word". I love those olde worlde exotic versions of English. Fascinating to see how the language changes.

    Very glad it's of interest Di & Abigail. I loved the Martorell work too -esp through the viewmaster. Fun!

    ReplyDelete