Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Spring plans

 

image

While bloggers on the other side of the planet have been writing about autumn ringing its changes, temperatures are slowly rising here.

It never seems as if much that is tangible changes in September in Brisbane, and yet without fail, I find myself longing for a holiday at the beach!

I rather like to remind myself that Spring is the real start of the year because it’s always so hot in January that I don’t feel very inspired. So this spring I have a few plans that will inspire me and hopefully set things up for a period of productivity.


Number 1:

That beach holiday I mentioned (albeit at St Kilda in mid-September, so there won’t be any swimming - brrrr!) followed by Impact7, the International Printmakers Conference.

I am really excited about attending the conference, because normally its not possible for me to make it to this sort of thing. Even one whole day is really too much, so travelling followed by a number of days in a row, for the price of registration, travel and accommodation – well, it just doesn’t add up. Fortunately, being in Melbourne (one of our favourite places) makes this trip an option as a holiday, so the conference fee is the only additional price to pay. As it is such a rare event, I made the decision to register for the whole four days with the expectation that I will pick and choose what I attend, and not allow myself to be pressured into trying to go to too much.

As well, there will be three other Book Art Object-ers at the conference, and this is my first time meeting them. I can’t wait!

Number 2:

I’ve enrolled in this four week online course on encaustic which starts in October. If you’ve been reading this blog a while you will know that I’ve dabbled with encaustic work on and off for a few years, but courses are hard to find locally. I’m so looking forward to this chance to learn from an expert and to be able to ask questions.

stbutton

 

Number 3:

I am finally biting the bullet, investing in a wall bed for the spare room, which will allow me to maximize the functional space in my studio.

fr the door

This is a shot from the door taken using a panorama app (Dermandar).

There’s a bit more I’d like to say about setting up the space most effectively and I’d really like your input and tips, so I’m going to save that for another post soon.

Have you made any plans for a shot of Spring Spritzer in your life?

3 comments:

  1. I'm eagerly looking forward to the Impact 7 hook up too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing the workshop with Judy as well, down here in tassie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Soewnearth! Welcome! It's great to hear of someone else doing the workshop. It looks fun and I hope to learn lots.

    It's intriguing to find you are going along this path too, as this past month I have been madly reading India Flint's books and exploring that direction (mentally) which is very new for me. I feel very drawn to her work but am not sure yet how it might relate to my own.

    I see you also have an interest in smoke fired pottery. This was one of my favourite ways to work before I lost access to somewhere to light a fire! (I live in a unit). I am so pleased to have "met" you!

    ReplyDelete