Monday, June 20, 2011

Art Exhibitions in Paris, May-June, 2011

I know the internet is brilliant for bringing us art from all over the globe, but nothing beats seeing it in person… Nevertheless, I wanted to show you some of the art that I enjoyed the most.

FIRST, THE BIG NAMES

Anish Kapoor, Monumenta 2011, Grand Palais

Indian-born Kapoor now lives in England. His beautiful and intriguing works play with perception and lead the viewer to question their own eyes. Experiencing Leviathan was one of the highlights of the holiday for me. There were supporting exhibitions of his work in other locations around Paris, some of which were equally or even more confounding. But just imagine having the chance to make work for the Grand Palais!

Inside views of Leviathan

Leviathan1

Leviathan3

Leviathan2

And outside of Leviathan, inside the Grand Palais

Leviathan-ext


Anthony Gormley

The first work by Gormley that I saw in a photo was Field for the British Isles. Ever since I’ve wanted to see his work for myself. Although there was a show of related work in Melbourne earlier this year, this was my first viewing. It was in a gallery 5 minutes from our apartment.

Gormley-gallery

Standing

Waiting

I-know-this-feeling

Gormley-5


Monet

I wasn’t aware of this work at Musee de L’Orangerie until just before we left Australia. It made me think of Rothko’s Chapel, and I think it would be much more impressive if visitor numbers were limited at any one time. Apologies for the poor quality of this video. Despite signs forbidding photography, everyone (really!) was clicking away. Security did nothing, but I still felt uncomfortable, hence this poor effort. A longer and smooth view can be seen here


AND THE LESS-BIG NAMES

This is just a few of my favourite exhibitions within 5 minutes of our apartment.

Elisabeth Brillet

Brillet1

Brillet3

 A French ceramic artist made these porcelain books!! I was entranced. They have psalms imprinted on them. If you click on her name above, you can see more photos of the exhibition.

Anita Dube

anita-dube

This text-based work by Indian artist Anita Dube at Galerie Dominique Fiat caught my eye. There is more images of the exhibition here.

 

Zarina Hashimil – Noor

A show of woodblock prints and paper works (including cast paper sculptures) at Galerie Jaeger Bucher. The whole exhibition is well-documented on the gallery site if you would like to see more.

IMG_0493

IMG_0496

IMG_0498

 

Cherel

Finally, I really wanted to share this French painter’s work with you. He’s on show at Galerie Felli. We have a catalogue but we posted it back, so I’ve just used a screen shot from the gallery site.

The paintings are on paper, which is then mounted on canvas, I think. It’s beautifully finished with rough painterly edges and the works are very appealing. There are trees, houses and a few objects (a bottle, a bowl) which are all very atmospheric and meditative. I really wanted to buy one, and maybe I will in the future. You can see more on the gallery site. You need to click on “Artistes” and then choose “Cherel”, followed by “oeuvres” (works).

Cherel

4 comments:

  1. As ever, thank you so much for sharing what you've seen. Paris, like London is so near yet so far for me. I love Kapoor and have loved Gormley for years ---remember seeing his work late 70s when he wasnt so well-known.

    I love the Cherel paintings...they actually remind me of early photographic processes liek Autochromes or ambrotypes. I love some of the other work at that gallery too...especially Marc Perez and Agnes Baillon.

    So glad you had a lovely and inspiring trip :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you enjoyed it Cusp. I enjoyed putting this post together, too.
    Yes, the paintings by Cherel are beautiful and they were selling well. I agree with you about the other artists at Galerie Felli too. I liked a lot of them too.

    Ah! (sigh) yes, a lovely trip, it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit belated, but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed vicariously visiting Paris through your posts. It actually made such an impression on my subconscious that you in Paris turned up in a dream recently. I'm glad you had a good trip. Thanks for sharing your lovely finds and impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe! that's brilliant Chipmunk! It was a wonderful trip - it's a bit hard to adjust to life back home, but it has made me more motivated to seek out things that are fun, rather than just working.

    ReplyDelete