Thursday, December 23, 2010

‘Tis the season

Whatever your tradition, all over the world people regard this time of year (roughly) as the time to stop and celebrate a little, each with their own different “take” on the season.

Unlike in the Northern Hemisphere, the Summer Solstice often passes down here without much attention being paid. It is severely overshadowed by the hoo-hah of Christmas.

This week on the night of the 21st, in a rare coincidence, there was a lunar eclipse and the summer solstice occurring together. There were clouds covering the show here at the appointed time, although at 8:30pm I did notice a big beautiful full moon, so the sky must have cleared by then!

Nevertheless, I thought I’d share these photos, which I found on  the Daily Telegraph picture gallery. They were taken at Bondi in Sydney and in Canberra, respectively. You can see more photos of the eclipse all over the world by following the Daily Telegraph link.

 

 

Noel Kessel

Above: Noel Kessell

 

gary ramage

Above: Gary Ramage

To all who pass by this blog, whether this is your first visit or you are a regular blogging buddy, I wish you the very best for the season, however you choose to celebrate. May you have joy, peace and good health. Keep safe and I look forward to re-connecting in the New Year.

11 comments:

  1. Great pics here, Amanda! Thanks for posting them. It was not a good viewing night up here.
    And thankyou for the good wishes. I wish good things for you,too.
    Next comment from Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that's right! How exciting! I look forward to hearing about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very same to you Amanda! I hope your holiday are bright and that the year ahead brings many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you, too, Amanda! Wishing you joy and peace and good health, and I look forward to talking to you again in the New Year. Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a lovely restful Xmas and time to reflect on the past year and the one to come.

    Love the photos :O) It was too cloudy here to see the eclipse sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We missed the moon up here as well - but thanksf or the beautiful photos. Wishing you a peaceful and restful Christmas and a fabulous and creative new year; looking forward to the fruits of BAO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos. Likewise, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and very best wishes for a good 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite a sight to witness, unfortunately I missed the lunar eclipse, I did see the moon when it was bright and huge though.

    All the very best to you for the new year. Wishing you a safe and happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit late with my blog reading so all the best new year wishes. Great photos Amanda. I've been thinking of you in the rain and today especially as Brisbane is flooding. I hope you're safe and not in the flood zone. It's all such a tragedy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A bit past your post here, but wasn't sure how else to send a message. With each passing day, the news is getting scarier from your part of the world, here in January. I hope you are ok!!! Thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your header is beautiful, as are the pictures that you posted! I hope that you continue to do well with the flooding (I followed your link from the A-List Blogger club).

    Cheers,
    Kim (North Carolina, USA).

    ReplyDelete