Saturday, October 16, 2010

Openings: a confession

There were two openings on last night that I had hoped to attend.

I actually don’t really enjoy openings that much. For starters, it’s a terrible way to see the art because everyone is so crammed in. Secondly, there’s the speeches (yawn) and finally there’s the small talk. Even worse, if you don’t actually know anyone, you stand around, nursing your drink and trying to look comfortable, thoughtful, approachable or whatever!

I know this makes me sound like a terrible grouch, but hey! I’m an artist, and I spend long stretches of time on my own. We can’t all be so adaptable! (I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels like this, am I???)

But it’s not just a matter of preference and avoiding situations that are a bit challenging. If it was, I would be firmer with myself and do the professional thing. The fact is that by evening I am usually pretty tired and the last thing I feel like doing is dressing up and going out. Preparing and eating dinner and then getting ready for bed is often challenging enough!

I’m gradually accepting that this is just the way I am, but I do try to make it to openings of friends, because I do understand how important these occasions are, and how much that type of support is appreciated.

All that being said, I did hope to get to these two openings last night. But I didn’t. It wasn’t completely slackness though. On Thursday I had to have a filling and although it all went smoothly, I was rather nervous because the dentist was new to me, plus having suffered TMJ syndrome, my neck was complaining about having to bear tipping back and holding my mouth open for half an hour. I had a vague headache and I was pretty tired – and I have promised myself that I would be a lot kinder to myself.

So, I didn’t go. But I will be going along to the shows in the next week and I’ll tell you all about them. Until then, in case you’re nearby, here’s the details.

Both shows are group shows and will include a variety of works. First off is 6 Degrees, with artist Sandra Pearce, friend and fellow Impress Printmakers member.

6 degrees

6 degrees back

The second show is the Studio West End group show entitled Self Portrait. This will showcase the work of 24 artists, led by Adele Outteridge and Wim de Vos.

selfport back

And despite what I’ve said about openings in general, I am really looking forward to seeing the shows.

7 comments:

  1. Well, firstly, Amanda, let me say I'm a Founder Member of the Grouch Club! ;-)
    For all the same reasons I dislike openings.
    But I'm very much looking forward to your report.
    And when you go to West End, if Del is there, please give her a large hello from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey amanda I've just noticed you've changed your blog header design

    lovely!

    I don't need to go to shows when I see such great creativity here on my monitor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no you are not the only one! openings can be such a drag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that you considered your health first and you'll see the exhibitions anyway. I don't like openings either.

    Your new header is just marvellous. And like Di, if you see Del, please say hello from me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you to you all for not leaving me here floundering around, thinking I was the only one who feels this way.
    Di & Carol: the show isn't actually on at the studio, so I don't think Del will be there, but rest assured I'll pass on your messages if I have a chance.
    Ronnie: thanks for your comment on the header - glad you like it! I'm still getting used to it, but I thought an update was due, and the new cleaner look seems more professional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Straggling in here, but just wanted to add that I too dread openings! Not particularly my idea of a good time either.

    I really like your new blog layout. I agree it looks nice and clean and professional.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda
    I'm just doing some rounds and saying hi..thanks for your warm welcome on BAO blog..
    I read this with relief that I am not the only one who feels like that about openings. And then when I got to the comments I see that I am in great company. How funny! Everyone dislikes them...
    I'm much more comfortable going round saying hello on the blog-o-sphere. I always thought I had something wrong with me~but I think it's just too much time spent on my own.
    {*}

    ReplyDelete