Monday, September 06, 2010

Calligraphy: inspirational book

I had a request after my last post for a bit more on this book which triggered my excursion into this new area. I’ve scanned the table of contents because that is what I always want to check out when I’m considering a book.

contents

After that I photographed a number of spreads, because you really need to see the full opening to get a real sense of the flavour of the book. They are just snaps, but the full book wouldn’t fit on my scanner. Nevertheless, I think you’ll get the idea. I was tempted to put up a lot more, there are so many beautiful images in the book, but I suspected the publisher and author might not be happy about that. Actually I don’t know why, I think the more you see, the more you are likely to be drawn to the book.

call1 call2 call3 call4Finally I scanned some info about the author as well. I noticed that the book was originally published in German and it appears the author may be Swiss as her earlier books have French titles. That may explain why she isn’t well-known in English-speaking calligraphy circles.

author

If you like the look of this type of imagery, the book goes into the sorts of nibs and other tools used, as well as other variables, like the support used, speed of writing etc. It doesn’t give instructions or specific “projects” though, if that is the sort of thing you like.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Thanks for this, Amanda. I did have "a bit of a google" but, like Ronnie, had not found much. (Mind you, I'm easily side-tracked!)
    So...I'm considering my birthday present...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Now I want this book but I don't do calligraphy and I've just got 3 books on the way. But still..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I know exactly what you mean! (I'm not telling how many books I have on the way...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yow Amanda...I don't do calligraphy either, but I've already ordered it! They should give you a cut ;^p Fabby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks amanda!

    it IS very interesting - and her ideas/methods/tools/etc etc etc mirror much that is happening in contemporary calligraphic circles (ps have I shared a link to belgium calligrapher yves leterme with you?

    http://users.skynet.be/fa464953/

    he does very nice gestural work and is a very very lovely person... I think there are moves to bring him to oz next year....fingers crossed...)

    the thing I like from the pics you've shared is how this book seems a nice bridge for those who haven't come from a calligraphic tradition.... it makes word/letter/calligraphic mark-making both attractive and approachable - and that you've gotta love

    I think I'll have to track this book down too (but not until I get 'codici' from thomas ingmire and 'textasy' from brody n...... droooooooooooooooool)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Textasy! yes, that's a bit of an investment. I have got "Words of Risk" (Ingmire) on the way tho'. No you didn't mention Yves Leterme (what a great name for a calligrapher!!)Just had a quick scout on his site: very up my alley!

    You are right about the book providing a way in for non-calligraphers. That's what really drew me in. I'm really pleased that you are all enjoying the pics as much as I am.

    ReplyDelete