Monday, July 26, 2010

Even sick people need holidays

I’m been neglecting you all for a while and I do apologize. I’ve been in Sydney since Tuesday and for nearly two weeks before that was occupied with preparing to leave home and go away for about 3 weeks. There were multiple health-related appointments to get myself as “ship-shape” as possible, washing and packing to be done including a good 3 weeks supply of medications, plus preparing the house for some friends to move in while we are away.

At times I genuinely wondered whether the holiday would be worth all the effort. I wasn’t really all that keen. Preparing for something with a definite deadline (like taking a flight) is actually one of the most stressful things I can do these days. I was also concerned about having a holiday in a big city. It’s easy to overdo it when there’s so much of interest to see in a short space of time.

But I have to say that so far it’s been terrific and I am slowly being wooed by this amazing city. In my late teens and early twenties, I really loved Sydney, and my best girlfriend and I dreamed of moving here together after we finished studying.

CFS, I thought, had changed all that. A big, fast, brash city was no place for the sick and tired, or so I thought. However, I’m finding that it’s stimulating and inspiring to be surrounded by this mix of geographical beauty (we’re staying at Bondi Beach), history and such a cosmopolitan mix of inhabitants. And I do feel better for it. It’s something I’ve been aware of for a while – I really am under-stimulated mentally at the moment. But how to set things up at home so there’s enough without there being too much? And at home of course, there is just more stress by nature of the various obligations you have, so my capacity to tolerate stimulation there is less. It’s a bit of a tricky balancing act. 

And all this is without the expected benefits – the art and the shops! So far, I’ve been to Oxford Street, the Museum of Contemporary Art, Amazing Paper, Shop Kraft and to check out the upcoming art auction at Shapiro’s. My dh had his heart set on a design classic, an original Arco lamp, until we saw its impressive size – too large for our low ceilinged-unit, alas! Still, we have set our sights on another rather lovely item and plan to head to the auction tonight, credit card in-hand. Just for luck, for now I’ll only reveal that it is a print, but you can be sure that I’ll share all if we win.

I’ve realized how truly isolating and mind-numbing it is to sit at home, conserving your energy for the necessities of life! Even sick people need holidays!  

When I get home I’ll write some posts about some of the art of seen, but to finish off today I’ve got a few of my Sydney photos to show you.

 Watson-Will Bondi2385 Bondi Beach: Wonder what will become of these homes with global warming?

Watson-Will Off Oxford Street, near Berkelouw Books.

Watson-Will 

Saw this near the MCA –a lot of lonely people in this city!

Took these with the “toy camera” setting on dh’s Sony PSP. I like the effect!

Watson-Will Bondi-Pav Bondi Pavilion

Watson-Will Swiss Grand ceiling Ceiling at the Swiss Grand Resort 

Watson-Will Bondi-nightBondi at night

5 comments:

  1. Yes, the brain does need an occasional "application of boot" even, or especially, when you're ill.
    And just seeing all that paper would do me a power of good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased your having a lovely time. You're so right about the sapping qualities of home obligations. I remember a fairly recent holiday when someone commented that I seemed 'lighter'. I said of course I was because, quite part from the M.E. there were few meals to cook, no housework, no washing, no ironing, no dog to walk (he'd been left with a friend), no paperwork/bills, no school pick ups, no clubs to take small people to. Made a huge difference.

    Love the toy camera pics.

    Have fun and here's hoping for success at the auction :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes me wish I was still living at Coogee, just a few beaches away from Bondi. Instead I'm just a bit too far away to say "drop in". I love Sydney and I'm pleased to hear you are enjoying it so much. Good luck with the auction and keep on sampling all Sydney has to offer. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhhh bondi! what fun! (I briefly live just 'up the hill'- at bondi junction waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 1980s)

    when I get to sydney next time I'll have to track down amazing paper - it looks - well - amazing!

    hope you're having fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you managed to travel to Sydney and are loving it! And I know what you mean about the meticulous preparation necessary - everything needs to be in place so you can use your energy for what you want to do, but it can be exhausting to set it all up, get it all together. In the end it's worth it though, we do need new impressions, experiences, encounters... I've just slumped heavily after having (travelled to) my first solo-show, and although I'm frustrated with the depth of the fatigue now I had a wonderful time and am brimming full with things that will sustain me in important ways.
    Congratulations too on being shortlisted - hope you'll be awarded the scholarship!

    ReplyDelete