Sunday, February 21, 2010

Progress: a bound artists proof at last

This week I managed to complete an artists proof including the binding of my book for the Learning Absences project over on Book*Art*Object.

Woo!hoo! I must say it's a good feeling! I've been working on this as my major project since August, and it's a satisfying feeling to see all the bits and pieces coming together. There are a few tweeks to be done, mostly to account for the loss of a little page space due to the binding. Also I have decided to have a different cover, but basically I am ready to start printing off the pages in multiples now. This will be the biggest edition I have done so far, and I am aiming for 15. This will include pigment inkjet printing, embossing and screenprinting using a screen generated with the gocco printer.

This afternoon I dragged the "light tent" down from the shelf and took some photos of the spreads now that they are bound. I've posted some below, but avoided too much that is new really, just to keep the surprise for those who will be receiving a copy (eventually) as part of the Book*Art*Object exchange. Once everyone has their copy I plan to put a slideshow of the book up online, but till then, here's just a little taster to whet the appetite.

I've included a photo of the colophon for those who are interested in this detail. If you click on it, you'll be able to read the text. I made the decision to put my colophon at the front of the book, rather than the back, as is probably more usual. I thought it interfered with the conclusion of the book a little when placed at the back.


10 comments:

  1. ooooooo I can hardly wait! I hadn't realised what a tease it is to post bits of pics and hints of finished things! good luck with finalising your edition

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Amanda, this is really beautiful. Like Ronnie, I can hardly wait either. I can see this is a book I will really treasure. Best of luck with it as you print and sew the edition. The stab binding looks lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, it's beautiful! I'm so lucky to be one of the recipients... can't wait to see the whole book. Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What a fbulous book!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi from Texas!
    I am so impressed. Wonderful use of photos, and I like the cut out pages.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful piece - beautiful pages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank-you all for your lovely comments. It's so encouraging to hear that people like what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow - this is STUNNING! (and glad to hear someone else knows what a light tent is)

    ReplyDelete