Sunday, February 28, 2010

Looking around the blogosphere...

.....this past week it seems that a lot of people have been experiencing some tough times recently. I'm in that club too, and although I would happily share what's been happening, it all feels a bit confusing and hard to explain just now.

Instead I've decided to post a couple of things I've found on two of the Buddhist blogs I follow. The first is from American Buddhist Perspective, a blog which discusses life from a philosophical perspective, mostly Buddhist. Earlier in the week he posted an old Taoist story here. It was quite timely for me, and made me pull up with a start and realize that I don't know what the outcome of current events will be, so I may as well just deal with the present and let the future look after itself.

The second blog is called Monkey Mind and is written by James Ford, who is both a Soto Zen priest and a Unitarian Universalist minister. "Monkey Mind" is a term used in Zen, that refers to the way the mind is always active, jumping from one thing to the next and back again, "chattering" like a monkey. Whether you've ever done any meditation or looked into Buddhism at all, I think we're all familiar with this experience - thoughts just coming at you from "nowhere" and never shutting-up!!

Yesterday James posted this cartoon, and it struck such a chord with me that I just felt that I had to share it.



So I'm off to spend some time updating my blogs and links in the sidebar. I haven't changed these since I first set up this blog and there's a lot more that may be of interest that I could share. And if you are interested in seeing how those beautiful paper-cuts are done by laser, check out the latest post on Book*Art*Object, which has a link to an interesting post by an English student, documenting the making of a lasercut book.

P.S. Don't worry, I have been making some nice progress with my "editioning" and am about to start working on my own cut-out pages, unfortunately not with the assistance of a laser...

3 comments:

  1. didn't comment on your lovely book for the BAO so firstly I'd like to say how fantastic it looks.can't wait. I also appreciate your links to the zen blogs. The cartoon is very appropriate - too often we turn on ourselves. Thanks and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cartoon! I hope that things resolve themselves for you soon, Amanda. It's SO HARD not to worry about the future and not get caught up in that circle of worry-inaction-worry (or at least, that's what it's often like for me). Wishing you well, Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee.. love the cartoon.

    Hope that you are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete