Friday, October 30, 2009

And the mystery item is....


.... an etching press. Carol and Sara did very well with their guesses - you know me well!

At the moment it has a bit of superficial rust from living out in a shed, but it was reconditioned a few years ago and is very solid. All the moving parts operate smoothly and easily, so it's really just in need of a cosmetic clean-up, some oil and grease for lubrication and some new felts and it will be ready to go! So far I've spent just over $400 including transport and I can't believe my luck! I've had an eye out for more than a year and this is the only one that I've seen on offer that wasn't $2000+

By the way, if anyone out there has any advice about caring for this little beauty, I'm all ears.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, it looks beautiful! I'm looking forward to see what you will pull out of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I can't believe your luck either, it's just so compact and will be a great asset to your art. And such a bargain! Can't wait to see what eventuates. It looks just the right size to print that A5 book you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations! It looks good... and if you find out any handy hints about rust, feel free to pass on the information. Tips I've been given so far are wire wool (steel wool) and meths or just rubbing down with oil and steel wool to get the worst off then leaving a light coat of oil to prevent further rust. I have real problems with the sea air up here so my poor baby always seems to be rusty :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finding such a great little press!!! A little elbow grease and some steel wool and oil should have your little baby in shape in no time. The main thing is that all the main parts are running smoothly. I'm happy for you and wish you years of great printing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcolme back Amanda and your press is truly brilliant, full steam ahead toot toot

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can also suggest maybe a coat of Penetrol on things like the handle wheel once you've de-rusted. It's amazing stuff -- coats and leaves a really hard clear surface, like a metal varnish. Do make sure you give it at least two full days to dry, because it seems to stay sticky forever, but it *will* dry, and will be better for your hands than a slightly oily surface!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's interesting, Ampersand Duck. I will get some - thanks very much for sharing this tip.

    ReplyDelete