Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Monoprinting skies

Writing about your work is such a valuable tool. I wonder whether most of us use it often enough? I am sure that I don't. Writing my last post really helped me to clarify in my own mind what I was doing (obvious really, if I am going to explain it to you!) and this helped me see where I was getting caught up.

I've been a little too anxious to use the solarplate technique for everything, just because I wanted to use it. It's far better to look at the creative problem that you have and then decide the best possible methodology that you have at your disposal, and this definitely includes the media. This was always clear to me with ceramics, which was my first media. It's simply not good enough to say you are making such-and-such from clay, because that is what you do. The choice you make is so much more important to the work than that.

So, I realized there were other, more effective ways to depict the sky in the way that I am looking for, and I have started to test them out. Monoprinting is a very free way of working that really appeals to me, despite the fact that I don't have a background in painting, as many monoprinters do.



I used the new Golden Open acrylics on paper and perspex for these. Some of the perspex ones have added acrylic and drawing. Some of these look more like water than the sky, but that's all right. They were great fun to make, and lead me in a variety of directions, as well as coming much closer to solving my original problem.

7 comments:

  1. Your print making process is fascinating. I really like the perspex ones, the effect is surreal and I agree with you that they look like water textures, very neat indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these too. Beautiful textures - and they are such fun to make. Interesting to watch you try different processes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks azirca and Carol! At the moment it is all pretty exploratory - the media are so new for me. I am hopeful that at least some of the things I've come up with can be developed into complete works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too like the somewhat dreamlike quality of the monoprints, Amanda. I also sympathize with your struggle with making the form fit the content, rather than the content fit the form simply because you're working with that form.

    I've been working on a book that uses a very simple structure. Initially, I fought the form because I wanted to use something more sophisticated. But I couldn't get away from the fact that the content, which focuses on my memories as a child, NEEDED a simple structure. I ended up using the make-a-book-from-one-piece-of-paper structure that is often used to introduce bookmaking to children. I'll be blogging about this soon.

    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the soft transitional feel of your monoprints & hats off to realizing your hurdle with attacking the solarplates. Sorry to have missed you at the Impress get together - it was a good afternoon but will hopefully see you at the next event!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading you for some time now and I also love this new monoprints.
    Lovely process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Clara & Jay Dee,
    thanks to both of you for dropping me a line.
    Clara: funny isn't it how we can make things hard for ourselves? Looking forward to seeing your book when you post about it.
    Jay Dee: apologies for the no-show. I came down with a cold and was feeling lousy. Nevermind, I'm sure there'll be another chance.

    ReplyDelete