Friday, March 13, 2009

Straw board covers


cover-boards-001
Originally uploaded by potsrme1962
This photo shows the problems associated with using cheap materials. The covers are for a landscape sketch book for a relative's birthday and because I ran out of archival binder's board I substituted straw board.

Added Sat 14th March
I realize this post is a bit out of the ordinary for me, so I thought I should add an explanation. I posted a question about correcting this warping on the book arts listserv and some photos were requested. People who haven't joined Flickr seem to have problems accessing it sometimes, so I decided to post the photos here.

The folks on the listserv have an amazing wealth of knowledge and experience and are so happy to jump in and share...it is one of the things I love about the internet...the way it has created this fantastic global community spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I'm one of the listserve artists. Absolutely the simplest way to correct warp in any board is to paint both sides with a thinned coat of either binder's glue or acrylic medium. If you only paint or apply paper to one side, it shrinks and creates tension on one side that causes the warp. If you counter the tension with a coating on the other side, the warp will correct itself. Layer with waxed paper and weight.

    ReplyDelete