Sunday, December 21, 2008

Resistance: porcelain flag book (still in progress....)


I thought you might like to see what stage of development the porcelain flag book made it to by assessment time. It looks quite good from a distance but I'm just not happy with the detail. There are two aspects that need work:
  • the decals: these are quite large as decals go and tricky to apply without air bubbles; having them fill the flags to the edges means any flaws are highly visible. I actually did a second firing of flags to replace the imperfect ones, but the colour was quite different due to variance in the firing schedule. (I had to fire quite fast because time was tight.)

  • the way the pages and the concertina spine join: clay shrinks at various stages during the making process - when it first dries and during each firing. For adjacent pieces to fit "nicely" it's best for them to dry and fire in position. This is common practice with something like a teapot and its lid. Working with flat slabs, I thought I would be able to get away without doing this, but I was wrong! The problem is especially obvious in the view below.


3 comments:

  1. We tend to be critical of our own work, always striving for what we feel happy to present to the world, but to me this is absolutely beautiful. The translucency and smoothness of the clay makes me want to reach out and run my fingers over the surface. Probably the worst thing that you should do as I assume that it's not made to touch so much as to look at.
    Beautiful work!

    Happy Holidays to you and your family Amanda, may 2009 bring you all that you dream of and more.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, this flag book is just magical. Etheral. I can imagine how you felt when the piece broke in transit but what an achievement. Now that you've finished your Masters (and wow, that's pretty wonderful too) you'll be able to continue these experiments without all the pressure. I think you've made something unique and truly beautiful. All my best wishes for a happy, healthy and creative 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer about the problems, but what a magnificent book!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete