Friday, November 28, 2008

Master of the House

Well, it's all over...and I've been bopping around, singing Madonna's "Holiday" and feeling like a woman reprieved.

The set-up went well, the data projector initially refused to speak to my laptop but then consented and my video documentation of Wraith showed up beautifully. I managed to annoy one of the other masters candidates but having booked the space he wanted, but I introduced myself and showed I was apologetic, and now we're friends.

I was introduced to the examiner, shook her hand and made myself scarce.

A little over an hour later I returned. Some of my work is staying for the Graduate Exhibition which opens on December 3, so there wasn't too much for me to pack up. It was all a bit underwhelming. Nothing more to do but go about my business and wait.

The next day, Wednesday, I headed down to St Kilda by the bay, had a nice lunch, before returning to the CBD. I dropped in to Hand Held Gallery a recently opened art space which focuses on artists books. Megan Herring, the owner was there and it was great to meet her. The gallery reminded me of a fledgling BookArts Bookshop, which I visited in London, and wrote about here. I really hope Hand Held takes off. It's so wonderful to have a space basically dedicated to artists books, and I really feel that Melbourne is the city in Australia that could sustain this type of venture. I added Like Weather to Megan's stock, and she promised me a spot in the window.

Then I went to visit Hannah Bertram, who I studied with at RMIT when I was initially enrolled and living in Melbourne. If you haven't visited her website, do yourself a favour now and check out her gorgeous work. She had a bottle of wine on hand to celebrate with me, and convinced me that it was okay to celebrate just getting this far, without waiting for the result.

And while I was sitting chatting with Hannah in her studio I received the phone call....a pass! No amendments to be made. Hurray! Time to break out the champers!!!!

6 comments:

  1. AMANDA I'd like to be the first to congratulate you.

    WELL DONE

    WELL DONE

    WELL DONE

    You've probably worked three times as hard as anyone else so it truly is a more like a triple pass which in my books would equate at least to a "highly recommended" or honors level award ...so there.

    What a great relief !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aine! Relief is the word, all right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, congratulations Amanda, what an great achievement. You really deserve this success - and I can imagine the relief you're feeling. Just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Amanda, you must be relieved that it is finally completed after 5 years. You must feel so proud, such a wonderful accomplishment and a real credit to you.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Amanda! From afar I'm very proud of you. Hope you can fully FEEL how amazingly well you have done. Time to relax and just simply be good to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, Azirca, Marjojo - thank-you all so much. Your support has been outstanding, and I am truly grateful.
    Time to be....

    ReplyDelete