Sunday, November 23, 2008

Flag book defeat

I'm blogging from Melbourne as I wait for tomorrow to install my work at RMIT in readiness for the final assessment on Tuesday. It has been a mad rush these past few days...I came down a little early to be available to see my supervisor before the week-end, but that wasn't possible. It just ended up making things more difficult because the tasks I still had to finish off had to be done here in the hotel room, and of course in my fuzzy anxiety-headedness, I forgot a few things and haven't had access to my own equipment.

The final piece I"ve been trying to complete is of course the porcelain flag book. It is finished, in a way, but it isn't what I would call "an elegent solution". The covers do not sit nicely, and although the whole thing looks good from the front, the back view is clumsy and at a bit of a tilt! This type of construction is always a challenge in ceramics, because clay changes so much, both in drying and in firing, and parts that don't dry together never seem to fit together well.

The whole work would have been a lot easier in porcelain paper clay, but this just doesn't have the same translucency or finish as porcelain. Another option would be a product called Keraflex, which comes in sheet form and is new to the market. It's also pretty expensive, but when I think about the expense of a double set of decals, it may have been a cheaper option after all.

I am determined to continue with the idea until I find a solution I am happy with, but I'm not sure about presenting this work for assessment on Tuesday. Tomorrow I'll discuss it with my supervisor. On the phone he pointed out that we often judge our own work more harshly than others do, but I am of the opinion that the work is fine to discuss in my written proposal, but shouldn't be one of the actual works I display.

I have some visuals to share with you - photographs of the flag book and a two-and-a-half minute video documenting Wraith, the installation I showed at the beginning of the year. I took the footage in the gallery, but have only just edited it together. Unfortunately, there's very limited uploading on the connection I'm using, so you'll have to wait till I get home for those. Well, I'm off to do some meditation and try to shake this headache...

7 comments:

  1. It does sound like you're very harsh with yourself. We do tend to zoom in on every little fault in our own work, easily done, after all we know it inside out and there is always something that makes us self-conscious, maybe could be improved, done differently, or maybe not... I'm crossing my fingers that your assessment will be positive and constructive and so much more than you dare hope. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping it all goes well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Marjojo, it is true that we see every minute fault as a chasm a mile wide, but I really wasn't happy with this yet. Probably failure is a bit harsh tho' - it's just not finished (to my standards) yet...but I'll get there.

    Thanks cusp! Your kind wishes mean a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I didn;t say "failure" did I? I said "defeat". Oh well, it's not true either...I will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry it hasn't worked out the way you hoped but I'm pleased to hear you'll keep trying. It is so hard when you're not comfortable with your results because other people usually think they are fine, but you have to go with your feelings. Can't wait to see what you make in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Kate
    http://educationonline-101.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate! Welcome! Nice to hear from you. I'm glad you've been enjoying the blog. Hope you continue to do so.
    Best Wishes,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete