Friday, May 23, 2008

9 Days in London....

Tube station: surprisingly deserted

....is definitely not enough, especially when you have migraines on two of them. Never mind.

My main interest in London was to visit some art galleries and maybe do some clothes shopping, and I was able to do both those things. I had a long list of potential galleries, which I knew I would not be able to get through, so I was forced to try to prioritise. This is harder than it may seem, because you never know when you are going to stumble across some jewel, an artist whose work you connect with powerfully, but with so little time, I just had to go for the big names.

My list of must-sees was: the V&A, Tate Modern, Saatchi Gallery and a little shop called Bookartbookshop at Hoxton.

At the V&A there are currently 2 artists books exhibitions, Blood on Paper and Certain Trees, which was really lucky, although I was sad to see that the ceramics galleries are closed till 2009 for refurbishment. I also managed a quick whirl through the 20th Century Design galleries, and these were great to see.

Over the next few days I will post some more about the art I saw, but now it’s time for a confession. On my last day I headed off to the Saatchi Gallery. I was really looking forward to seeing some very recognizable works of art, but when I arrived I found it is shut while they move….re-opening in summer. Pooh!

So what can a girl do to cheer herself up in circumstances like this? Well, to give you a hint, I’ll tell the non-English of you that the Saatchi Gallery is in Chelsea….and another hint here. Yes, ladies, I shopped till I dropped!!!

4 comments:

  1. Is that where you shopped? I watched the catwalk parade - really nice clothes for real people. How lovely to go shopping in Chelsea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a new "chain" store to the UK, from France originally. They had some really gorgeous clothes that I just could not resist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:15 AM

    Hello Amanda and travel companions,
    We are missing you so much but sounds like you're having a ball. We have recipes picked out for a dinner party upon your return. I just need to know one thing...did you try a Chelsea bun while in Chelsea? love you heaps, mark and anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark and Anita,
    No! I didn't even see a chelsea bun in Chelsea. Can't wait for your dinner party.
    Missing you too!
    Love,
    Amanda (& Ian) xoxo

    ReplyDelete