Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Setting up the ceramics workshop

It mightn't look like much but you've no idea how happy it makes me to be able to report that today the electricians came and installed my kiln. It has been stored away at my m-i-l's since the middle of 2003 when I moved to Melbourne.
While they were here I had them install the hanging light (full spectrum tubes) and the hanging power point too. With the doors open, the daylight in the space is wonderful on a sunny day, and now the light will be good on overcast days too. It will also be good when I'm working on week-ends and feel like I need a little more privacy from the neighbours.

I don't know what the problem is with me and studio's with views? I just can't seem to luck onto a picturesque space....and this isn't the worst of it - over to the right are the bins! Still, I'm not complaining - I think the very fact that I finally feel up to establishing a proper space for ceramics again is a very good sign.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Amanda, your space will be wonderful for light and privacy. You won't have time to think about the view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on setting up your studio after such a long hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a dedicated space for ANYTHING is wonderful. My space is my kitchen, or if I'm using an easel it's the bedroom.
    I can relate to how you feel about windows though, because I used to have the same thing with office space. I eventually ended up having my own office with a wondow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are all right. It's a good space, and with time I can fine tune it to my requirements and also make it a bit more homely. And of course, I am lucky enough to have another studio space in one of the spare bedrooms for all the other art I do. Ceramics is so dusty it's important to keep it away from the living space for health & safety reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks exciting and promising both.

    ReplyDelete