The lovely Carol over at Barnacle Goose Paperworks tagged me just before I headed to Melbourne for the show, and I am finally going to respond today. While it's been hard to think of 7 interesting things about myself to share especially when I've been tagged before, it's so affirming to be tagged, it is definitely worth the effort. Also I really reading the interesting "factoids" that other people share when they are tagged, so I guess it's only fair that I cough up too.
Here are the tag rules:
1. Once you are tagged, link back to the person who tagged you.
2 Post the rules on your blog.
3. Post 7 facts about yourself on your blog.
4. Tag 7 people and link to them.
5. Comment on their blog to let them know they have been tagged.
7 Facts About ME
1. I first became interested in learning about ceramics/pottery when I was working in an acute psychiatry ward. I saw one of my patients, who was a Buddhist monk, throwing a vase on a wheel and was fascinated.
2. My father was a photographer in the RAAF during WWII and I grew up with a purpose-built darkroom in our house. The smell of photographic chemicals makes me come over all nostalgic.
3. I am of Irish and Scottish extraction and in 1986 I located and visited the "family castle" in county Kildare, Ireland.
4. The name "Watson-Will" is my maiden name which I refused to change when I was married. We know it goes back at least as far as my great grandfather, but reputedly it goes back much further, to the time when people had single names, and "son" indicated "son of" whoever. The story I've been told is that one of two brothers, Watson and William, was on his death bed. He promised to give all his money to his brother if he agreed to join their names, so that his memory would live on. Of course, the brother agreed but he must have spent all the money because by the time my grandfather was born, it was gone!
5. On my mother's side I am a descendent of the Duke of Leinster. (Well la-di-da!)
6. I am married to a Belfast-man.
7. And the really exciting bit....my lovely, lovely mother-in-law is taking my h and I "back home" for a visit next month! We will be away 8 weeks, with most of the time in Ireland and England, a week in Paris and a stopover in Tokyo.
It's almost impossible to think of 7 people who haven't been tagged before, especially ones I've established an e-friendship with, so some of you will no doubt be repeat-taggers. On top of that, a lot of people I e-visit aren't well, so they may not feel up to it. If you don't want to play or have been tagged often or recently, I won't be offended - just think of it as a salute of appreciation from me to you.
So I tag....
1. Pru over at Bum Crane, who I was lucky enough to study with. She's an amazing Brisbane ceramic artist whose demure appearance belies a razor sharp wit.
2. cusp at l'ombre de mon ombre, who I know isn't well at present, but just so she knows I'm still thinking of her.
3. cally at cally creates, who makes the most beautiful work, but who also isn't too well at the moment
4. Shu-ju wang over in the last bedroom, who is a gocco whiz and makes gorgeous artists books. At the moment she is working with elderly people making memory books.
5. Francesca at Mrs Eliot's books who makes gorgeous wooden books concertina books.
6. Marion at My Art Grows Around Me. An artist who has the most incredible sensibility, creating beautiful works that resonate deeply with the soul. At the moment she's taking a poetry-writing course so she's a bit quiet on the blog-front, but the archives will keep you busy for days if not weeks.
7. Wendy at Quirkyartist, another Australian artist who is extremely generous in sharing the techniques she tests and uses and makes some great work.