Sunday, January 13, 2008

Staring at this view!!


Since my last post I've working away on two more editions of "Like Weather". The first was to send off to Mackay for the Libris Awards by this Friday just gone and I want to get another copy finished to take with me to show my supervisor in Melbourne when I go in February. I also had to prepare a press release for the exhibition at Kings ARI in Melbourne.
So I've spent a lot of time in my little studio and unfortunately this is the view! After seeing how lovely azirca's studio is, I have been wondering what I can do to make mine more of a space that draws me in.
Functionally the space isn't bad, and I am continuing to tweak things as best I can given space/money limitations. It is just the "ambience" that is lacking! My original idea was to plant creeping vines to cover the fence/s outside but that won't work. The area is for drying clothes and there's a cement slab, so any plants need to be in pots. We are in the grip of a drought and have Level 5 water restrictions so it's just not possible to maintain pots. I've thought of covering the window with "something", but what? And it is the source of natural light, so I don't want to reduce that too much.
Somewhere on the web I saw some sort of patterned "wallpaper" for windows. It seemed to give a sort of frosted glass effect, and I thought it might work, but now I can't find it anywhere! If any of you have seen it I'd really appreciate it if you could send me the link. Or if you have another idea, I'd love to hear it.

4 comments:

  1. Yep I know just what you mean because we've got some. If you google 'etched galss window film ' you'll come up with stuff or there's http://wallpaperforwindows.com/ and also
    http://www.etchedclingdecals.com/ in USA. Also you can put the same search into Ebay amd there are some in US and UK who'll post to Australia.

    You can buy it in DIY stores here too --- plia or patterned and in the plain you can vcut out your own patternms and stick it on: You MAYeven be able to put t through a printer and print on your own designs --- a 'Like Weather' window ! Wow !

    Have fun !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew someone who pasted beautiful, almost sheer papers on her windows and it looked great. I'm not much of a fan of curtains but I've seen (in English country living magazines) gorgeous floaty sheer material with inclusions of leaves, dried flowers etc sewn into pockets. They let in the light but became a barrier and a point of interest. Or print on it - as Cusp says, use your lovely Like Weather pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the window film could be a good solution Amanda. It allows light to come in but also aloows for privacy and in your case, would disguise the view for you. I haven't tried any myself but it looks like it would be reasonably simple to apply.
    Here is a link to a NZ and Australian supplier.
    http://www.windowfrosting.co.nz/decorative-window-tint.html

    Sheer voile curtains would be lovely too, very dreamy, not so good with paint splattered on them though so I guess it depends on how far away your work area is, maybe something that you could wipe clean would be better?

    Thanks so much for your kind words about my studio, I'm pleased that I could inspire you to create some magic in your studio space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links cusp and azirca. It's good to know it is available locally, although I do like some of those Victorian designs I've seen from the UK/US places.
    I had thought of sheer curtains carol and azirca - there is some gorgeous fabric around with quite funky textures and designs in the weave, but I did think they might get splashed with wax or even catch fire (that's where I do my wax work in order to get good ventilation.)
    Anyway I feel like I'm kind of on the right track now - thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete