Thursday, January 24, 2008

Preparing for upcoming exhibition Pt1

This week I received some more good news about Like Weather, my flag book. It has been accepted into the Stanthorpe Art Prize, another national juried art competition. Of course this means I'll have to put together another copy to send off before I leave for Melbourne in about two weeks, but I think I've got the process sorted out now.

I've finally been able to make a start on some of the work that needs to be done to prepare for the exhibition in Melbourne. I have shown this installation Wraith here in Brisbane in 2006, but it is an ephemeral work using unfired clay, drawings and a projection, so this show will involve re-making a lot of the piece.

The first step has been to take another look at the projection. Last time I only had access to an (analogue) slide projector. During the time the work was up, (about 10 days from memory, but able to be viewed 24 hrs/day) I replaced the slide at least three times because it kept fading. I know now I could have had a glass slide made which would have lasted for the whole time.

At Kings Gallery I'll have access to a digital projector and DVD player, so I wanted to check whether there is anything special to do to prep an image for this. I used this article as my reference. According to the author, it's really not that complex but there are a some things it's wise to do:
1. make sure the size of your image (in pixels) is within the native resolution of the projector. I found this by searching online for the specs of the specific model the gallery uses.
2. set the dpi at around 96
3. if the projector you are using is not an LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) then increase the saturation of your image by 10%. The one at Kings is LCD, so I dutifully took this step.
4. sharpen your image tastefully. Always better to under-do, rather than over-do, in my opinion.
5. convert the colour space to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 because this is the colour space the projector will presume has been used. Leave your image in another colour space and the colours may not be as you expected.

So now there is only one other step. As the gallery uses a DVD player to provide the image to the projector, I have to save the image to a DVD in a file format that the player can read. To be honest I have to check this with the gallery, but I used Windows Movie Maker to save the image as an avi file. MM came with Windows XP and may also come with older versions of Windows, I'm not sure. It is incredibly easy to use, and amazingly I just gave it a try for the first time a few weeks ago when I made this video. At the time I thought I was just playing around, but it turns out that the couple of hours I spent then were actually really useful yesterday when I wanted to save this jpeg as an avi. With art, you just never know when something you've done "mucking around" will turn out to teach you exactly what you need to know.

So that's it so far. Well, all except showing you the image. So here it is, as it will be projected.


3 comments:

  1. Your image is beautiful. I'd love to see the exhibition. Thank you for sharing the article too, I've found that very interesting and for a start will calibrate my monitor, one of those things I keep putting off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely - so delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on Stanthorpe!

    ReplyDelete