Saturday, September 15, 2007

Gone fishin'

Well not really, but I have taken a week off and headed north to Cotton Tree on the Sunshine Coast for a week. You may be surprised to hear this, given that I am supposed to be head down and tail up working towards the end of my masters…well, thanks has to go to my wonderfully supportive and understanding supervisor, who has managed to talk the university into letting me have one more semester.

The past six weeks have been extremely stressful for me as I struggled my way through the worst winter flu season we’ve had here in Australia for years. Then I started a series of migraines, probably induced by stress. Gradually I fell about 3-4 weeks behind. With less than 12 weeks to go, I could see there was no way I could catch up.

The plan now is to take this week off - my first actual holiday (i.e. not a rest required due to illness) in a year. Then I will be back to work. I don’t intend to fritter this time away, but hopefully I can feel rather more relaxed – even with time off over Christmas, I now have a good 8 months to finish what I planned to complete by the end of November.

Before I left on hols I managed to finish taking photos of the distintegration of my clay portrait. When I get back I plan to work these up in Photoshop and use them in a clay concertina book. I also finally received my paper supplies that I had to order from Melbourne, so I will be able to finish Like Weather at last!

But speaking of weather, the sun is out, it’s 28 deg C and there isn’t a cloud in the sky, so I’m off for a walk on the beach….

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got the support you needed from your tutor. While you're right when you say we have to try to do things there comes a point when we have to give in to the fact that it's impossible to push ourselves more than we already have. And as soon as we do have some energy it's always and again and again about prioritising, chosing what we want/need to spend it on. I've lately prioritised my blog, mainly because I've so long been craving the input of other artists and this is the best way for me at the moment to showcase some of my work and get feedback and see the work of others, but today I doubted the wisdom of it as the sun was shining and I was hanging in here over my keyboard writing my blog and had no energy left over for basking in the warmth outside. Hope the sun will shine tomorrow too.
    Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete