Sunday, June 10, 2007

I'm back....with a new toy!


My "new" Epson Stylus Photo 2100

Here you can see my new printer - an exciting studio acquisition which arrived this week. It uses the fabulous Ultrachrome inks (not the K3 though) which are considered the best for fine art applications and prints up to A3. New it costs about A$1300-1400, but I was able to pick this almost new one up on Ebay for less than half that! Boy! am I happy! I am currently working on installing the ICC profiles and getting things sorted so that what I see on my monitor is what is printed - a ridiculously complicated process! After all, it is what we all want, so why can't they make it a bit more automatic???



I must apologize profusely for the lengthy gap in posts without some sort of explanation. As those kind cyber-pals who emailed me guessed, I have been pretty sick and fell into quite a funk as I contemplated the seemingly endless cycles of disappointment that relentlessly pursue me, like the wolf in my childhood dreams. On another day, I might well contemplate the cycles of successful achievement that punctuate my illness....it all depends on...well goodness knows, but I suspect various hormones have a lot to answer for.

During my break I have finally placed the ashes of my beloved father. He died nearly 2 years ago, but we only recently received his ashes as he donated his body to the University of Queensland for research and learning purposes. This was his final act of generosity in a life punctuated by many such acts. I have to confess that it also demanded similar generosity from those of us who loved him, as it interrupted the rituals that are such an important part of grieving. At last we have a place to visit in his memory, and this is more comfort to me than I would ever have believed.

A little progress on my masters work has been made, not as much as I would have hoped, but I will post some images and information about this soon. I just wanted to reach out and make contact again - only eleven weeks till my next trip to Melbourne, so I really have to be hope than I can be productive in this time, or face reality...

4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm glad you're back with us. Kept checking but didn't want to become an irritant.

    I do like your shiny new toy and a new 'bargain' toy is even more pleasing I always think (being a miser by nature!). I hope you can get all the techie stuff out of the way a.s.a.p. and really enjoy using it.

    It's good that you have come to a place and time where you can begin to complete the grieving process, too. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have to wait as long as you have and having nowhere to go and talk to your loved one. I know you can talk anyway and anywhere but it really helps to have somewhere special to go. Our visits to parents' graves are very comforting and give us time to reflect and feel like we are doing something for and with them. Actually, because I cannot get there as much as I would like we have also set up a special place in the garden with plants our Mums & Dads loved --- a sort of shrine/grotto where I can go and reflect and chat. Maybe you could think of something similar.

    Good to have you back. Looking forward to seeing the new work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back as well, Amanda. Cusp said everthing I was thinking, so I won't ramble on unnecessarliy.

    Enjoy your renewed energy and creative spirit. I look forward to seeing and reading about the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you back, but sorry to hear that you haven't been well.

    Those ICC profiles and getting everything calibrated with your monitor can be a real headache. I'm sure that it will be worth it in the end though, can't wait to see what you create with your new toy, good luck!

    I agree with Peggy that Cusps' comments about the grieving process is pretty much what I would have said. I think that her idea about the shrine in the garden is lovely and could be very healing. I can only offer my support for you to chat to anytime you feel the need.

    Take care *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you all so much for your lovely warm welcome back online - it is so uplifting to know that people have been thinking of me and noticed that I am back!

    My father did not really know much about the garden - as soon as he could afford it he hired someone to help my mother with the heavy work outside so he could escape into his darkroom or his workshop (built model engines from scratch). BUT, I do really like the idea of a sort of shrine here at home - I have some enlargements of photos he took and also one of his pen and ink drawings. I'm sure I can use them to create a special space in his memory. Thanks for the wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete