Monday, March 19, 2007

Fruitless


Safe
Originally uploaded by potsrme1962.

This is the last post I will be doing before I head to Melbourne for supervision tomorrow. This work has been troubling me because much as I love it, I did not think it was going to work as part of my masters work.


I had made these fragile,flimsy and translucent boxes with holes. A box is a container - to hold things, to preserve them and keep them safe. I wanted to use the boxes to express how we as humans try to hold onto things, to keep them the same, and to stop things changing. To express "anti-process" and the fruitlessness of trying to keep things the same. In a way, the boxes did this but there were too many other interpretations that could be made, and were probably more evident.

I was thinking about putting different things in the boxes, but what?Then I thought of adding locks. This clarifies the idea of holding something, containing it. But the boxes have holes! And are empty! So something has happened - whatever it was has gone! To me, the work is now about what has happened, a change in state. This seems to work.


I'm not sure if this is conceptually within the bounds of my thesis - I'll be discussing that with my supervisor, but I am a lot happier with these pieces anyway, and I plan to make more.

I'm not sure whether I will be able to post while I am in Melbourne - I may only have dial-up access which makes loading photos difficult. I will be checking out a number of exhibitions while I am down there though, and will be sure to report back as soon as I can. Thanks to everyone who has provided comments and support during the past weeks while I prepared for this trip. Your help has been greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck Amanda - I look forward to hearing all about it when you return !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in Melbourne. I love these boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes good luck! I like these boxes heaps!
    I am not sure that the idea has changed so much.....'the fruitlessness of trying to keep things the same' and 'a change in state' - I think you are expanding upon the original idea, not doing any back-flips.
    I remember reading something about Bakhtin, written by someone i don't remember, that goes something like 'in the carnival aesthetic everything is pregnant with its opposite'
    I like that idea.
    Have a great time in melbourne! So much art to see.

    ReplyDelete