Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Focussing My Blog

Too much time has passed since my last entry. I could blame my health or blame the weather here in Brisbane (it's been 30 deg+ and 60-70% humidity this past week) but I think I really need to acknowledge that the real reason is that I haven't recognised the value of blogging and made it a higher priority.

Regular readers will know that I am off to Melbourne for supervision for my masters in just two weeks from today...so I have been trying to make a start on as many works as possible so I have plenty to share and discuss. I figure I will be able to get more feedback if I have a number of works underway rather than a couple completed or nearly completed.

This is quite demanding but also very exciting. At the beginning of a new work you have to really start focussing your ideas, select media and process, not to mention run around for any supplies you don't have on hand. There is a lot of testing to do, as well as a number of decisions to be made. And I am loving it!

Along with just doing the work, I do feel that I can gain a lot by documenting this process as thoroughly as possible. This will help me with my thesis writing but my research background also suggests that it will be useful to my practice - it is so frustrating to look at an example of something that you love and want to re-create and not knowing how you did it, or alternatively making something which fails, only to realise you've done that before and should have remembered! Such a waste of time and energy - things that not only I frequently run short on...

Then today I received my weekly update from Alyson B. Stanfield, an art business coach who writes the Art Biz Blog. If you are interested in taking a more professional approach to the business side of your art, you should check her out. I'm not a paid up subscriber, but her site, blog and newsletter offer lots of useful free advice and tips.



I am not really a big fan of the idea of life coaching or business marketing, (just another of my hang-ups - I value humility in this age of "put yourself out there"). Consequently, I am actually at a bit of a loss when it comes to knowing what to do in this area. Somehow I stumbled onto the Art Biz Blog around New Year and Alyson got me in by suggesting that readers write a summary of their achievements for 2006. That sort of task is always fun and encouraging, so I did it and followed up by signing up for the newsletter - much of which I find useful and relevant to me.



Anyway back to today's update -it is about focussing your blog! Alyson introduced the artist, Margaret Short who started documenting her current project in her blog, Fine Arts Blog. I'm not a painter but I adore painting and I find this blog fascinating. Another of my absolute favourite blogs is Woodblock Dreams by Annie Bissett. She documents her explorations in moku hanga, traditional Japanese woodblock printing.



This has made me realise what sort of blogs I like - the ones that teach me stuff, especially if it is something I dream of trying some day. So this is what I would like to do with my blog - focus on documenting my masters work and share some of the techniques I use. And to do this I really do need to post more regularly - perhaps 2 to 3 times per week, especially at this time, when I am testing so much.



So you can look forward to more output from this little blog, and as a teaser, I'll finish with one image. This is the middle section of a sculpture I'm working on. It's only one piece of a larger multi-piece installation with the working title "Cocoon". It's made from japanese paper, beeswax, acrylic gel and shellac. More to follow...


close-up w-i-p Cocoon by Amanda Watson-Will

1 comment:

  1. Alyson B. Stanfield8:08 AM

    Thanks so much for the mention, Amanda! Great stuff here.

    ReplyDelete