Thursday, December 21, 2006

Topic #33 - Stripes

Stripes (digital diptych), 2006


This weeks's Artwords challenge gave me the chance to work with some black and white images I took a few years ago. When we first moved to Melbourne I noticed a big difference in the light and started photographing it where ever it fell. These shapes, which remind me of a musical staff, are shadows from light passing through nothing more exciting than a venetian blind.


If you'd like to see the original image, I posted it here at Flickr.


To make this diptych, I introduced my favourite colour scheme, playing mostly with the adjustment layers in Photoshop again. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to achieve the blood red colour, but I did! Hooray!

I gave up photographing lights and shadows a while ago because I wasn't really sure what to do with the images. Now that I'm learning more about working with my photos more effectively thanks to the Photoshop Support Group on Flickr, I think I might go back to exploring this avenue. To me, it refers back to the origins of photography and Olive Cotton's quote that "photography is drawing with light".






2 comments:

  1. good job, I like your photos,
    Merry Christmas :o)
    Issi

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent work - well done with the photoshop progress!

    ReplyDelete