Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Agoraphobia


This is the first week I've taken part in Illustration Friday. It's a massively popular online gallery with weekly challenges. Apparently 200+ people participate - so I figgered I better be in it...

This week the topic is phobia. Agoraphobia has had a significant effect on my whole family. Although only one member has agoraphobia, everyone is impacted. It has taken us a long time to accept how genuine it is but if you have any doubts, you just have to look at how it destroys a person's life. If you could just "get a grip" and overcome it, you would - nobody would live like that if they had a choice.

While you're here take a look at how other people have interpreted phobia on IF, there are some fantastic artists involved. I'm on the look out for lots of spiders...

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I like your illo. Interesting take on agoraphobia. It would be cool if the eyes were looking down and had some real fear in them. I don't know, maybe that's too literal. Anyway, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mysterious quality if your piece. It looks like your confronting your fear by looking straight out too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for dropping by and for your comments.

    Tomart: I take your point - the eyes are more sad, with only a little fear, but they do capture my personal experience of long-term agoraphobia - almost pleading for help...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wide eyed look. It conveys fear to me especially since the pupils have contracted.

    Welcome to Illustration Friday. I'm pretty new myself and havent been very regular but I enjoy the freedom to illustrate that these topics give me. I dont mind however naive my drawings are as long as I'm able to convey my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those 'experiences' i.e., as in the context of your own family have given this piece much more emotional strength than somebody just trying to abstractly illustrate the idea of 'Agoraphobia'.

    I'm speaking as an experienced fine artist - I believe that 'feeling' somehow gets 'conveyed' in the creative process of making the artwork.
    And when the viewer looks at the piece it somehow has more resonance.!!

    It's been fun to find out about I.F. - also!!

    thankx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The anti-anxiety medicine xanax is wholly capable of facilitating your war against anxiety as it is the most widely recognized medication to treat anxiety disorders, especially generalized anxiety disorders and altogether Xanax can treat a whole lot of anxieties related to panic disorders and depression. Before you move on to administer Xanax and treat your anxiety, get hold of Xanax tidbits from the site http://www.pill-care.com

    ReplyDelete